CBD Oil for Pets… Not Just for People Anymore
You may be wondering how anyone in their right mind can give cannabis to an animal? Well, in this special CannaCon edition of #FarmsNotPharms, we swan dive with a twist into the rabbit hole known as the wonderful world of cannabis as it pertains to the application for some our favorite furry friends! Though, before I outline the 7 Easy Steps, let’s answer 3 frequently asked questions.
WHY WOULD I EVER GIVE MY PET POT?
Whenever people wonder why cannabis is considered beneficial, my answer is always the same; we all have an Endocannabinoid system! This blessing of a discovery has proven to help our body regulate our immune system, neurological system, digestive system, and more! All vertebrates, including spiders, have an Endocannabinoid system and we have known this since at least the 1980s thanks to the research of many, including Dr. Raphael Mechoulam who also identified Anandamide, an endogenous cannabinoid (created only in our body). Believe it or not, the US Government has publicly supported the medical benefits of cannabis since patenting 6630507 which actually references 12 other U.S. patents related to cannabis dating back to 1942!
WHAT IS ‘CBD OIL’?
CBD is just one of over a 100 cannabinoids found in the Cannabis plant, and it’s completely non-psychoactive, meaning it won’t get you high. I have personal experience using CBD with humans, animals (& their owners), and of course myself and my own wolf-dog Barkely who was lucky enough to benefit from cannabis throughout the second half of his incredible life and I must say, he inspired so many others to take the high road! Often while hiking, or at the dog park, many asked if he was still a puppy, and I attribute much of that to cannabis oils and a healthy diet.
WHEN SHOULD I GIVE MY PET CBD?
The benefits I’ve seen working with CBD for pets are profound. Better attitude/mood, digestion, Inflammatory relief, and especially for larger and older dogs. Also, anxiety relief and definitely for rescues, tiny yappers, or door rushers. Plus I find that when dogs eat my oil their coat gets softer, and are overall happier, so it becomes easier to acclimate new pack members! Though as we all know, a happy animal is one that gets lots of exercise, beneficial nutrients, and healthy water!
‘TREAT’ YOUR PET WITH CBD in 7 EASY STEPS
Reasons to give your pet CBD (included but not limited to):
- Better quality of life
- Relieve anxiety. ie; dog parks, separation, social gatherings, trips, etc
- Better Digestion
- Topically for skin issues, cuts, rashes, hotspots, foot pads, etc
- Internally for inflammation, hips & joints, etc
- Better Appetite
- Better sleep
- Diabetes, Seizures, Cancer etc, though may consult a vet
- Look up ProjectCBD.org to check out tons of CBD research on a large variety of ailments our Endocannabinoid system can help dial in.
What’s the Difference Between ‘Pet CBD’ & ‘Human CBD?’
- In a word… Nothing.
- Companies who distinguish generally re-label, dilute/weaken the oil, and charge more for a ‘pet product.’
- Pet focused CBD lines often say phytocannabinoids or cannabinoid content, without actually indicating specific cannabinoid content.
- I prefer strong oil so I can use as little as possible to get what I need and my whole family uses the same high quality oil, even my pet.
Everyone is Different
- A tiny dog may need +\- than a large dog & vice versa.
- One strain that works for one individual may not work for another.
- We may need to take +\- our previous dose depending on what we are addressing & when.
- What we eat, our hydration level, and the reason we need relief may affect our dosage.
- Each day is different. Patience is key, happier homes grow happier pets!
CBD Oil for Pets Dosing
- I dose as needed, or 1-3x a day, depending on situation.
- If I had a less serious condition I would likely start with a small dose of up to 5mg. Titrating up will likely be necessary to find the right dose that offers the best results.
- For more serious conditions, I will often be looking for a more aggressive campaign with a higher dose.
- It’s important to remember when taking cannabis we’ll Need extra Water. We very much benefit from eating healthy, especially healthy protein for animals. Just because a product is affordable and labeled food doesn’t mean it’s good to feed it to our pet.
Trial and Error is Key
- Be fearless! Find what works best!Happy cells work better for us! How we feel affects our ability & our willingness to heal. It’s important to eat & drink healthy, & to find the dose for that works best for us through trial and error because we are worth it!
- Deep breaths, we got this!
- Working with a dose of CBD oil for pets for 7-10 days may allow me t0 determine the level of efficacy of that dose Raising the dose may be needed to find the optimal quality of life.
- I may need to dose multiple times a day.
- Always keep oil containers & droppers free from any moisture or saliva, always put droppers back in the bottle completely dry or risk mold growth.
- Can lick out of hand, or rub in mouth, or hide in healthy food!
- If there is a serious issue, lubricated suppository delivery with a 1ml oral syringe is a safe and viable method.
- Topical application is safe, though ingesting for systemic addressment is generally recommended in conjunction with topical use.
How to Choose Our CBD Oil for Pets
- I prefer simple organic ingredients I know and trust. Absolutely no alcohol, flavoring, preservatives, and preferably Liposomal.
- I support companies who don’t charge more for ‘Pet CBD’ than ‘Human.’
- I look for solvent-free oil, non CO2** based extraction, organic coconut oil or olive, no safflower oil for sensitive stomachs, or hemp seed oil as it goes rancid quicker.
- I prefer whole plant hemp oil for more holistic benefit.
- I feel comfortable using CBD isolate based product for anxiety, inflammation, ptsd, and other nerve issues.
- Know that All hemp is cannabis. All legal CBD products are made from hemp. Hemp is distinguished as cannabis containing 0.3% THC or less.
**CO2 = industry standard extraction process for CBD oil, yet in my experience does not create an optimal product. In my opinion, the inferiority of CO2 extract is the very reason companies have to add flavoring or sweeteners, and/or other nano-enhanced gimmicks to their oil. Terpenes are the key. Terpenes are found to help cannabinoids surpass the blood brain barrier, and work together in concert, called the entourage effect. Retaining terps naturally without having to re-add them offers the precise chemical make-up the plant was created with, using no man made alterations to compromise the efficacy of our work, especially when we are talking about caring for the most important thing we know; life.
Learn more about my organization or contact me for guidance at GuerillaHealer.org
This has been a special #FarmsNotPharms Edition for CannaCon. Check out FarmsNotPharms.org.
By Brent ‘BURNTmd’ Kaufman of GuerillaHealer